Somerset Place is a former plantation on the north shore of Lake Phelps. It was split off from Pettigrew State Park in 1969 to become a state historic site.
Lake Phelps is North Carolina's second largest lake. It is quite shallow with an average depth of only 4.5 feet. At its deepest point it is just 9 feet deep. It is considered one of the Carolina bay lakes which formed after the last glaciation. The lake is entirely fed by rainwater and is actually at a higher elevation than most of the surrounding land. Thus, with no runoff entering the lake, it is free of chemicals used in agriculture. Algonquins used the lake as far back as 8000 years ago. About 30 dugout canoes made from Cypress trees have been found in the lake. Native Americans, prior to the Woodland period, migrated in an annual circuit hunting and gathering for food. They would sink the dugout canoes to use upon their return.

The first known European to see the lake was Josiah Phelps. He was part of a exploration group in 1755 exploring the swampy area know as the Great Dismal or Alligator Swamp. About to depart the area, a tree was climbed and the lake was spotted. Upon arrival at the lake, Phelps rushed into the water. And the name stuck.
There are a few road access spots around the lake. We stopped at one to get a nice overview of the lake. An Osprey flew overhead with a fish in its talons, still wagging its tail.
A swimming circle at Pettigrew State Park
Josiah Collins and two partners from Edenton, bought the lake and 100,000 acres in 1785. Collins' partners gave up early and Collins began a 10 year project of draining swamp, building barns, saw and gristmills, digging canals etc, while using mostly slave labor. By 1800, the plantation was thriving with many crops and a lumber business. The above house was not built until 1830. Josiah Collins lived elsewhere leaving the plantation to be run by an overseer who lived in a smaller house nearby.
By 1850, 200 enslaved people worked on the plantation. There were several two story, 4 room buildings which accommodated 4 slave families each. Additionally, a row of single cabins accommodated additional families. A kitchen building supplied slaves with a noon meal. Slaves were on their own for the rest of their food. Another building was designated as a hospital to care for injured slaves. A number of these building have been built using the original plans and on the original foundations.
Three generations of Collins operated the plantation until the Civil War. Josiah Jr had the manor house built. He lived on the plantation as did his son, the next owner, Josiah III. In 1862 Union troops entered the property. Many of the slaves had been hastily moved to another nearby plantation behind Confederate lines. When emancipation finally arrived, some of the slave population remained as late as 1870 while trying to regroup displaced family members. The Collins, financially ruined, left and sold the plantation. It was acquired by the state in 1939.
Nearby, the Pettigrew plantation had this quite odd manor house. It is no longer standing. We walked to it from Somerset. General J Johnson Pettigrew grew up here and is buried in the family cemetery nearby. He led a division during Pickett's charge at Gettysburg. He was wounded while crossing the Potomac during Lee's retreat and died from his injuries a few days later.
We enjoyed the large trees including this American Sycamore. There were giant Red oaks, Cypress and Atlantic Cedar as well.
This is the party grounds of Somerset Place
One of the hand dug canals