Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Biking Pine Creek Trail





When I first read of this trail, it was described as one of the most scenic in the East. I'd never heard of Pine Creek but soon learned it is also referred to as "the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania". It follows Pine Creek in a stunning valley from Wellsboro to Jersey Shore just west of Williamsport.

I accessed the trail north of Jersey Shore and rode to Waterville and back, about 25 miles. The trail is the widest rail trail I have ridden. Wonderfully graded and gated and fenced too. For much of my short ride, I followed a somewhat busy road which did detract from the experience. However, the views are stunning. The "creek" is a river by most standards. It looked like a wonderful canoe float too.

When I arrived in Waterville, I noted a lodge and a tavern in addition to a convenience store with a snack bar. This would make a great overnight stop. The trail continues on over 60 miles to Wellsboro which is a quaint tourist stop.

This trail is definitely on my short list of trails to ride. I can't wait to get back on this one.


No comments:

May 7 That Dam Mural

  Freshly painted by impressionist artist Eva Crawford of Charlotte, this mural was a joint project of Klondike Cabins, Grassy Creek Winery ...