Saturday, April 13, 2013

April 8 & 9 New River Trail


This bicycle ride covers two days. Beginning on Monday, I have left my overnight gear at a rental cabin outside Galax. They are right on the trail - Chestnut Creek Cabins. Then I start riding in Draper where I will leave my car until I return. It is 12:30 before I start and already close to 80 degrees. I notice right off, there are numerous trees cut up alongside the trail. The trail is in rougher condition that I remember last year at this time. The surface is wet in spots and it feels as if I'm riding with flat tires. Above is the Hiwassee Bridge, the first of 3 river crossings. The trail crosses many side creeks too but the New River crossings are substantial bridges.


Remnants of the railroad are still present. Above is the Chestnut Yard turntable where engines were turned around to go back. This was the end of the spur at one time. It is another 6 miles to Galax, where the rail was extended to.


Bloodroot and Dutchmans Breeches are blooming on the cliff and hillsides. The soil is quite rich in this area and supports many wildflowers but today we are experiencing a bloom two weeks late

By the end of the day I am very tired, having ridden 40+ miles in the heat. It is 5:30 when I finally spot the log cabins trailside. I had planned to ride into Galax for dinner but am too tire for that.


The next morning I am rested and ready early, leaving the cabin before 7am. It is over 18 miles later I see the first person on the trail. Above is another New River crossing.


At Foster Falls you can ride right down to the water's edge as I have done here. I had a relaxing snack here mid morning.


I spoke with a couple state employees along the way. One fellow told me 240 trees fell between Pulaski and Foster Falls. Almost all in one snowstorm. The other ranger told me 900 trees had fallen on the trail as a whole. Crews from 6 states helped clear it. I still saw piles of firewood along the trail.


My ride ended about 12:45 on Tuesday back at my car in Draper. I felt much better at the end of the second day.

No comments:

May 7 That Dam Mural

  Freshly painted by impressionist artist Eva Crawford of Charlotte, this mural was a joint project of Klondike Cabins, Grassy Creek Winery ...