Friday, November 21, 2008

The Stone Cube of Greenbrier





Earlier this year, while hiking off trail in the Little Rhododendron Creek area of Greenbrier (Great Smoky Mountain National Park), I ran into some fellows from Maryville, also offtrail. They invited me along on their bushwhack. They seemed to know what they were doing and I didn't have clue what I was doing. We first climbed a hill, singing Amazing Grace, to a small cemetery. Leaving there, we headed down along a branch to a stone structure about 7 feet high and 8 feet wide and long. Not a fireplace, not a chimney, just a cube of stones. No one knew what it was, but there it was.

Fast forward to this Tuesday, I located it again by a different route. This time I GPS'd it and the spot along the Grapeyard Trail to begin the bushwhack. So, what the heck is it? Shown are all 4 sides. It is solid on the top and has no cavities other then normal spacing between stones.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...