Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sugarlands Rock House




In the late 1930's the CCC built a rock house on Bear Branch in the Sugarlands area. About a mile from their camp, the house was built, probably without the park's knowledge, as a retreat for CCC bigwigs and friends. For many years the house was unknown to many locals. A couple years ago, it was "re-discovered" and its existence leaked out. Now there is a worn path leading to it and even guys like me, from Asheboro NC, know about it. No secret anymore. That is the reasoning behind the park's decision to knock it down. It is a very unsafe structure, barely standing. I believe I could knock it down myself in just a few minutes.

I had some directions, copied off the internet. It was easy to find. I suspect it will be much more difficult once the leaves have returned. I was weary even walking next the bowed out wall and even more weary walking through the doorways. I hope no one gets hurt here. the doorways look especially precarious.

On the return hike, I met the Wilderness Wildlife group headed out there. It has become a popular place.

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...