Monday, February 9, 2009

Birkhead Wilderness - Fern Valley





Sunday was a warm and beautiful day. Just perfect for a walk in the Uwharrie woods. As I like to do, start out on a trail and look for something interesting and go off-trail. I began at the Tot Hill trailhead. there is a new parking area there which I didn't realize until I finished hiking. I followed the Birkhead Trail to Camp 5, Fairview. At that point the unmaintained, Fern Valley trail heads about 1 mile to camp 3 and Coggin Mine. As I walked into the valley, I was struck by how green in was. Ferns covered the ground and holly trees follwed the creek. I believe this trail was constructed by Joe Moffit's boy scouts. There is an aluminum sign embossed with "FERN VALLEY" nailed to a tree. The same type sign, Joe used at other spots along the original Uwharrie Trail.

I followed the creek off trail in the direction of Cedar Rock Mountain. It took a good 45 minutes to reach the yellow blazed trail near Camp 3. From here it was an easy walk back out.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...