Thursday, March 12, 2009

Biking on the Chief Ladiga Trail





I didn't know Alabama could be so hot in March. My Sunday drive to Anniston was a warm one. By mid afternoon I had checked out the trailhead, the Amshak and places to eat and spend the night. There is a Super 8 only 2 miles from the trailhead. They allowed me to leave my car there for a few days while I rode the trail.

Central Time and the first day of daylight saving had me right back on my regular time schedule. I was up and ready to roll by 7:15am. The fellow at the front desk outlined a shortcut to the trailhead on some less traveled roads, so that is where I went, Cave Road. Sure enough, there was a cave in a cliffside as I pedaled by. At the end of the road I saw the Chief Ladiga Trail right where it was supposed to be. 33 miles of asphalt to the Georgia border. First town was a tiny village of Weaver. Folks were just getting to work as I rode through. Next town was Jacksonville and Jacksonville State University. The trail cut through campus. Only a couple joggers were out on the trail. From here to Piedmont were 12 miles of pastures, fields and junky trailers. Someone decided to carve "JESUS CHRIST" in trees next to the many trail benches. Also, I felt the litter trailside was considerable when compared to the other trails I've ridden.

Piedmont is the largest town on the trail and has a manned Visitor Center right on the trail. I stopped for a few minutes to speak with the caretakers. It was an old home with beautiful woodwork. Back on the trail, soon I'm in the Talledaga National Forest and looking at the highest hills of Alabama. The trail travels through a mixed forest, some rock cuts and over a few streams and rivers. Finally, I approach the stateline and the end of the Chief Ladiga Trail. At this point the Silver Comet Trail takes over and heads 61 miles to the Atlanta metro area. It is only noon so I adjust my plans to continue beyond Cedartown to Rockmart for the night. But that is another blog.

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...