Sunday, May 2, 2010

April 20 Hike to White Oak Sink





April 20 Hike to White Oak Sink
White Oak Sink is a unique area located in the GSMNP on the road leading to Cades Cove. Any water running into the sink has to exit via a limestone cave opening. There is even a waterfall that exits into a cave. The lime in the soil allows for some different vegetation.

It was raining this morning and I did not photograph the yellow lady slipper I saw. The first I have ever seen. Once in the sink, blue phlox is dominant. It looks like it covers the ground in wide swaths. There were some other folks in the area hiking. The "locals" steered me around to the best spots including a sinkhole full of shooting stars and one full of bluebells. I spent about 2 hours here before moving on, hiking Turkeypen Ridge Trail and looping back to my car.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...