Sunday, June 27, 2010

June 23 Cades Cove Cycle



The Cades Cove loop road is as smooth as glass now thanks to a "stimulus" re-paving. I've driven and biked the 11 mile single lane, one way loop countless times. This ride had to be the best ever. After realizing I'd be in Townsend on Wednesday, the day Cades Cove road is closed to cars until 10am, I knew I had to haul my bike to the mountains this trip. It was well worth it. The lot at the entrance was nearly full by 7:30am. The parking area at the campground would soon fill and all spaces in the picnic area would fill after that. Where folks parked after that, I don't know. As I passed the locked gate into the cove road, a volunteer greeted me and clicked her mechanical counter. I'd like to know how many bikes ventured out there today.


Turkeys were poking around in the tall grass, deer grazing as well and even a bear crossed the road a few feet from me. Yeah, that did cause me to do an acrobatic 180 on my bike. I saw several folks with their cameras out so I expect I'm in some prized vacation photos - me and the bear.

The morning mist kept everyone cool. Even as we approached 10am and the release of the motor cars, everyone stayed cool on a day Townsend hit 94. In the final 1/2 mile I did have to leave the road to avoid some roadwork. Apparently a car had burned up and ruined the new pavement.


This isn't the bear that spooked me. This fellow is about the size of a house cat. Mama is nearby.

More Photos of this ride

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...