Monday, December 12, 2011

Nov 21 Singletary Lake State Park


The first thing I saw upon getting out of the car was this polypore attached to an oak tree. It is rather large.

Singletary Lake is the only North Carolina State Park serving groups only. There are two cabin complexes which can be reserved for groups. When they are occupied, the park is considered private and the public is not permitted. When the camps are vacant like today, you can contact the park office and receive permission to enter the park and have a look around. That is what I did. I didn't mean to follow the park boundary cut but that is what I ended up doing. I walked all around the 4 mile lake and didn't see it until the very end. Like all other Carolina Bay lakes, Singletary is oval  shaped and oriented north west to southeast with sandy beach on the southeast side. At 11.8 feet it is the deepest of the CB lakes.


Beginning around the lake I encountered this sandy terrain with Turkey leaf oaks sporting  nice red leaves. Again, this was the SE side of the lake.


It appears to be about a foot deep where I'm at on the pier. Out in the middle of the lake was a raft of Ring Neck ducks I estimated at 5000.


Cypress trees, accented with Spanish moss dominate the shoreline and the many sandbars on this side of the lake. Here we are again on the SE side of the lake.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...