Thursday, April 5, 2012

April 2 New River Trail - Galax to Pulaski


I've bicycled this trail before but never in one outing. Planning a roundtrip took some investigating. There are motels in Galax but nowhere else on the trail. Looking at a google map, I noted there were 4 motels outside Pulaski where I-84 has an interchange between Pulaski and Dublin. It looked like a short ride on the map, so that became the plan.

It began as a dreary day with some light rain but that all gave way to sunshine in the afternoon. Starting at 10:11am was going to make it a long day. 


The trail from Galax follows Chestnut Creek, a fast moving creek with many cascades and a few waterfalls. At about the 12 mile point, it enters the New River at Fries Junction. The trail crosses the new at theis point. It crosses 3 more times before Pulaski, making for long trestles with nice views.


The rock faces sported colonies of Columbine and Bellwort. I saw the occasional Squirrel Corn, Fire pink, and the other usual suspects. Many trees were blooming to add to the color.


Approaching Pulaski late in the afternoon, I foolishly took the Dora Trail to downtown Pulaski. The city is trying to become more of a trail town. The downtown connection is nice but there isn't much in the way of visitor amenities there. Without lodging, there is not much a through rider will want to experience. Now I had to find my way back to the route to Dublin. Those last 4 miles of long rolling hills with virtually no shoulder took a toll on me. I felt slightly faint after arriving at a Comfort Inn. There was only one restaurant in walking distance, so I had an evening meal at Shoney's.


No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...