Tuesday, June 19, 2012

June 13 Lead Cove-Bote Mtn-Finley Cane Trails


This 9.4 mile loop with a side hike was a fairly easy walk. Going up Lead Cove trail was a bit tough in the heat and humidity. I spotted one bear in the rhodo along here. Once at Bote Mountain Trail, I hiked an extra 2.4 miles to complete an unhiked portion of that trail. Bote Mountain Trail is a wide two track with few redeeming features. The final leg back is along a very pretty trail, Finley Cane Trail. there is a small patch of cane along it. 

With about 2 miles to go I stepped over a freshly fallen tree and immediately felt the unmistakable sting of a yellow jacket. I think he got me twice and maybe a third time. I thought it was a good time to break out the Epi pen. I tossed my pack on the ground and unzipped. Just as the pack was opening I realized I had transferred the Epi pen to my bicycling gear that morning for the ride around Cades Cove. Fortunately, the trail was fairly level for the last 2 miles. I walked as fast I could, feeling the stinging sensation more and more as I went. It took about 40 minutes and I finished strong so no ill effects from the stings. Damn yellow jackets.

This hike added 8.2 miles toward my S900 Challenge. 

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...