Monday, October 22, 2012

Oct 15 Vienna (Va) to Harpers Ferry


This being my 3rd C&O ride, I wanted to do the entire trail from MP 0 to Cumberland but some logistical problems getting to MP 0 and forecasted rain changed the plan. I was able to get a ride with son-in-law John to Vienna Virginia just up the street from his office. There I started on the Washington & Old Dominion Rail Trail. This paved trail is just over 30 miles but I rode just 21 miles to Leesburg Va. There I was able to negotiate, using my GPS, to Whites Ferry, the only still operating ferry across the Potomac River. The ferry utilizes a cable to cross the river. However, I learned recent high winds closed the ferry. So, even the cable must be vulnerable to those situations. 


The C&O Canal Towpath is within sight of the ferry and above you can see where the original road to the ferry crossed over the canal. From here to Harpers Ferry I did not take any more photos because it rained much of the way. The bicycling was slow and exhausting in the rain. Everything got wet and sandy except for a few double bagged clothing bags. The wet sand built up on the bike and shifting gears became impossible.

Not knowing where to stay, I walked up the never ending hill in the Harpers Ferry to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy Visitors Center. Here someone gave me a list of local accommodations. I called the first on the list - Angler's Inn. They had a room and it was just one building down the hill. No matter where you go in Harpers Ferry, it involves a hill. I had a pleasant stay and was able to dry everything except my shoes. 

The next two photos are of the approach to Harpers Ferry, crossing the river. I took the photos the following morning. 



It was a long day and I think I rode about 51 miles. Many of the miles were avoiding puddles and splashing through puddles, sinking in mud and not being able to see much of anything.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...