Thursday, December 5, 2013

Dec 4 Uwharrie Trail - King Mountain

Fireplace at Twin Springs Campsite

Beginning at the tailhead on Thayer Road, right at the Randolph County / Montgomery County line, the Uwharrie Trail continues north. The original trail was constructed in the late 60's and rerouted at least once. The newly blazed and flagged route follows some of the older routes but deviates in many spots. About a year ago, I flagged some of this route and some of what I flagged is being used for official trail now. 

Getting up King Mountain from the trailhead involves following some old roads but more than half the way is just blazes and flagging through the woods with no footpath. There are 2 deer stands right on top of King Mountain. One might be active this season, the other is missing half the ladder. For the next couple miles, the trail follows an old road.

Beware the Doom that came to Eden - Snake Country

It is along this stretch, the trail to Twin Springs campsite can be accessed. This campsite has not seen much activity for years. The old trail to it had completely grown over. The old double fireplace is still in fine shape unlike many of the other campsite fireplaces built in that same era. As an Eagle project, a spring house was constructed nearby. I did not see any water in it but suspect it could be cleared up to be useful again.

An inactive coyote den?

Continuing on the trail, I had a difficult time making my way through a thicket of small trees and uneven rocky ground, trying to follow the fresh blazes. They came to a sudden end near a pasture with an electric fence. I understand the intent is for the trail to continue past here, next to the private property boundary. It is just a short distance to Pisgah Covered Bridge Road at that point.

Retracing my steps I decided to avoid the messy thicket and just angle my way back to where I thought the trail would be. Immediately, I popped out on an old road and suspected it would lead me to where I wanted to go. It did just that and was a delight to walk on. 

I did carry a GPS with me but suspect I walked about 7 miles total.

Who says Black Jack Oaks are drab

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...