Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Dec 18 Cedar Rock Mountain


Cedar Rock Mountain is on the eastern fringe of the Birkhead Wilderness in the Uwharrie National Forest. There are private homes on it and a cellular tower. I hiked in from Tot Hill trailhead. Technically offtrail, there is a rather nice two track leading to it off the trail to Camp 3. A few trees have fallen across the old road but it is still an easy walk. As I approached the base, there are 3 rock outcrops on the left. Behind them is a chimney fall. I noticed an old rusted kettle in the leaf litter nearby.


It is an easy hike up to the exposed rock which caps the mountain. A few cedars eke out an existence in the rock. There is a very limited view toward Asheboro. I think I was seeing Mt Shepherd and the Klaussner water tower. Finding a viewing spot took some time. You have to find just the right spot.


Returning down the mountain, I decided to look around the old homeplace. A short distance away is a series of rock outcrops. Several have stones piled high on the base, as the photo above shows. It appears this area was cleared of rocks for some purpose.


The rock outcrops continue. I guess the area was about 5 acres. A small creek nearby led me back to the old road.

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...