Friday, April 3, 2015

March 20 Daffodil Flats


This is the scene at Daffodil Flats this year. I think this is close to peak. Weather is the likely culprit. I was beginning to see buds and a few blooms in early February and then the cold snap came. The prolonged very cold temperatures took their toll.


Nevertheless, I made the pilgrimage to Linville Gorge for the bloom. First starting at Unnamed Trail, I began slipping and sliding. That prompted a decision to abandon this trail and head back a half mile on the road to Pinnacle parking area. Here the MST descends into the gorge and I knew that trail would be an easier grade.


Follow the MST for 1.1 miles, passing Wolfpit Rock along the way. Then at a junction where MST turns right, look for a faint left; Leadmine Trail. The first sign on Leadmine advises it is 1 mile to the river and 12 miles to Linville Falls. After .2 mile, another sign says you can take the dry weather route .4 mile "Drop to River". The work "drop" spooked me, so I continued on the "all weather" route. Still further along, another sign states "Shortcut .1 mi". That seems like a no brainer. In a short while you are at the river in a  wet area by a campsite. From here it is about a mile upriver to the flats.


Along the way, I passed many campsites and had nice views of the river. there were some bloodroots trying to bloom. After a short viewing session, lunch was at a nice campsite just upriver. 


I retraced my steps back to Leadmine, seeing the recently hacked Unnamed trail near the flats.

From Wolfpit Rock

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...