Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Nov 11 Deep Creek/Sunkota Ridge

Tom Branch Falls


I'm adding some 6.5 miles of S900 miles today with this loop hike out of Deep Creek in the GSMNP. Deep Creek is a relatively large creek draining a huge chunk of the NC side of the Smokys. My route follows the creek about 8 miles and then returns along a ridge.


Campsites along Deep Creek appear to be used frequently. Improvements such as makeshift tables and benches are seen in almost every campsite. The trail hugs the creek for several miles but as the gorge steepens and narrows, the trail moves higher, well away from the creek. It does return near the junction with Martins Gap Trail. At this spot was the last camp of Horace Kephart. My guidebook says there is memorial placed here in 1933 by a boy scout troop. I could not locate it. I continued on the Deep Creek Trail another .7 mile to a junction, turned around and headed back. 

Bridge at terminus of Pole Road Creek Trail


Now it was time to hike 1.5 miles on Martin's Gap Trail to Sunkota Ridge. I was not prepared for all this uphill. That short trail took a long time as I labored up it. Finally, reaching Sunkota Ridge Trail I thought I had done all the climbing for the day but a quick glance up and a quick review of the guidebook said otherwise. I had another 1.5 miles of uphill to go. Once I had done that, I sat down for lunch. A boomer watched from a safe distance. As I left, the boomer checked out my lunch spot but probably found nothing.


The walk down the ridge went well and I was glad to see my progress meant I would make it out before sunset. At the next junction, I saw two packs hanging on the signpost. I had not seen anyone all day. Looking around, I still saw no one. I headed on my way and in 5 minutes I ran into my first hikers of the day. We stopped to talk briefly and one guy said he recognized me and as he said that I recognized him as Steve from Big Stone Gap Virginia. They were doing 16.5 miles and adding S900 miles as well.

I continued on to the Deep Creek Trail and parking area. There were dozens of people out in the late afternoon on this easy section of the trail. I finished up at 3:30 having done 18 miles today.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...