Sunday, January 29, 2017

Jan 29 Tadlock Graves in Birkhead Wilderness

Betty McGee Creek

Les III showed me a photo of this Tadlock grave and mentioned it was out in the woods by Betty McGee Creek. I knew right away I would have to find this place. On Randolph County GIS, it show up as .1 acre in the middle of the Birkhead Wilderness, belonging to Lillie Vuncannon Cemetery. Using GIS and Jared Byrd's Birkhead map, I carefully positioned the cemetery on the map and headed out there. That was all well and good but when I arrived at Thornburg trailhead, I had no map. Of course my well intentioned plans were for me to find it on my own. 

Beavers at work

Off I go. Following Betty McGee Creek for a ways, then just heading in the direction I thought I needed to go. I found an old road with corrugated metal culverts, piles of rocks and eventually ended up on the gravel road used for owners of inholdings. At about this time, I began to think, this may not work out. I have walked a couple hours and only had a vague idea of where I had placed the "+" on the paper map. I did remember the terrain but looking about, it wasn't connecting for me. 

More pits

Alas, I had technology in my pocket. Wilderness Navigator on my phone, a gps and with a slight cellular signal, I had internet access to GIS. Putting it all together, I figured I just have to head in the best direction I could determine and hope for the best. I walked up and down and and finally decided, I needed to head back to Thornburg. At that moment, the grave appeared.


The Tadlock grave

Two Tadlocks buried here

Mother and Father are buried here. There are two footstones (one under the fallen log).

Old Road washout

Walking back was a bit easier. I located an old road and followed it about 1/3 of the way. It was washed out, above, on a McGee tributary. 

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...