Sunday, October 8, 2017

Oct 5 Looking Glass Rock

Looking Glass Rock from the Blue Ridge Parkway


All week I have not met another hiker on a trail. That streak ended today. Looking Glass Rock is an extremely popular hike. The parking area already had 4 cars in it. When I finished my hike, it was jammed with folks parking in both directions along the road. The trail is very well worn and wide. It employees a number of switchbacks with many many shortcuts between them. 


Another relentless upward climb with no breaks until just before the turn around. I thought I had reached the top when I saw a large flat rock surface. I understand this spot is used as a helipad for climber rescues. A mile further up, I finally popped out into the open with expansive views. It reminds me of Stone Mountain State Park.


This area must get quite crowded at times. It drops off quickly and is more of a grade than it appears in the photos.


On my way down, it seemed to be a parade of dogs headed to the top.

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...