Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Feb 3 Birkhead East Ramble

Early morning at one of the Rush Pits

Not much of a plan for today. Hike starts at NCWRC access on High Pine Church Road. It was a bit muddy on the walk in but an easy stroll. I was soon in the forest headed to camp 3. Turned at the spur and checked over the campsite and spring box. Everything looks like it should and no litter. I continue up the camp 3 trail from here and visit the Rush mine pits before deciding to follow a drainage back to, hopefully, the Bogg homesite. I came out on the Camp 3 trail near the Doud Mines and immediately saw some recent flagging. I followed it through the lower end of the Doud area until it deadended about 10 minutes in. Scratched my head and turned back to follow it out.



I did make it eventually to the Bogg homesite where I headed offtrail to follow north prong of Hannah Creek drainage. Not far from here I spotted 3 piles of rocks by a side drainage. See below. Scatched my head and continued on. It was a good 30 minutes before I walked into Fern Valley. Checked on the campsite. Someone has been cutting live Holly trees here. I've seen the same elsewhere in the Birkhead Wilderness. I don't have to scratch my head on this one. Idiots are everywhere.



It was about a 45 minute ramble out of the woods from here. I saw many Red Oaks having fallen recently. 

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...