Sunday, March 10, 2019

Feb 25 White Oak Creek Bike Ride


Finally, the connection between American Tobacco Trail and White Oak Creek Greenway is complete. Just south of the White Oak Church parking area, you can ride onto the White Oak Creek Greenway to Bond Park. There you can connect to the Black Creek Greenway and ride all the way to Umstead State Park. 



 The new greenway here, eliminates a road ride which I had previously done to gain access to the trail from the ATT. It is stunning to see how much of this new greenway is boardwalk. One of the boardwalks took two and a half minutes to ride. You also have to pass under the 540 toll road. There is still a one mile road ride which requires crossing a busy street.

As I approach Bond Park, the greenway surface deteriorates. Tree roots make the ride bumpy and slow.

Once at Bond Park, I got on the Black Creek Greenway and headed off. After a couple miles, the greenway utilized a sidewalk for a ways and the map indicated there would be other such spots. At this point I turned around, not wishing to roll along a sidewalk. A bit of artwork appeared here (above).


I retraced my route back, noting the tremendous number of new homes in this area. There is a huge complex of new homes being built near the junction with the ATT. I expect this trail to get very crowded. I'm glad I got to bike it today since it will probably not be a suitable bike path in the future.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...