Monday, August 19, 2019

July 30 My Feud with a Coyote


My trailcam was set on the ground alongside my road. It was hidden among some pieces of wood. One morning the camera was all muddy and laying in the road about 20 feet away. There were a number of images on it. This one and one below look like a Coyote messed with it.


I set the camera back up in the same spot. The next day there were 4 piles of Coyote scat along a quarter mile section of my road. Each was deposited in the very center of the road. Coyotes and other animals do this to mark territory. many times I have seen scat in the middle of a hiking trail or on a rock in the trail. Coyotes want their pack and other packs to know this area is their territory. 



When I got to the spot where the camera was, it was no where to be seen. After a few minutes I noticed it about 30 feet away looking quite dusty. Obviously the Coyote didn't like that camera, or didn't like my scent in their territory. So, I moved the camera and mounted it on a tree.


I got lots of cool pictures of deer, including one with 3 fawns in it. Also, a number of night photos of Coyotes passing by. They are too blurry to post here, but I did catch a small Coyote passing by, below.


Staying up past dark, outside is not something I normally do in the hot humid summer, but I have been doing that purposely as often as possible in hopes of catching a Coyote howl. Driving to the spot where I see Coyote prints in great numbers, I've been sitting out after dark waiting. It is still and comforting but no Coyotes. Until, the next morning when some more scat appears nearby.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...