Monday, December 14, 2020

Dec 12 Hannahs Creek Trailwork


I'm headed on the Hannahs Creek Creek to work on the massive blowdown at the junction of Hannahs Creek Trail and Birkhead Mountain Trail. Just before arriving there, this new tree greets me about head high. It was a fairly easy cut. Now I didn't bother putting my saw up. I knew I was steps away from the big one.
 


This Hickory is too big for me to cut through, so I cut the small hickory which was also attached to the rootball. This allows, someone to make an easy step over to continue on the Birkhead Mtn Trail south or to Binghams Graveyard.


The bigger issue with this blowdown is that the crown of the same Hickory came down smack in the middle of the trail. I didn't realize this before and it multiplied the amount of time I'd have to spend here by a factor of 4. It took some work to get this clear. The limbs were too heavy to drag off, so I just got them off the trail and piled up on both sides. 

I had planned to continue to get one more blowdown but this just too much out of me to continue. So, I clipped my way back the trailhead.











No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...