Friday, November 4, 2022

Oct 20 White Pines Preserve

 


White Pines Preserve, a Triangle Land Conservancy property at the confluence of the Deep and Rocky Rivers. I have not visited for at least 10 years. There are many more trails and parking areas have significantly increased. I knew the area had been settled and farmed so my plan was to head offtrail and see what I could find. Almost immediately, I located this barn which has been left to fall away. 


Not far away, I saw what looked like a well and then this pond (below). There was an overgrown area next to it with Wisteria in the trees. So, that had to be the homesite although there were no signs of a foundation or anything else. 




Roaming still farther, I located a cinder block foundation and this stairway to an underground room. Probably not a panic room. More likely a root cellar. 


Once I had my fill of the offtrail adventuring, I walked along the rivers. There is a canoe put in on the Rocky but you have a long way to drag or wheel your boat. Perhaps as much as a half mile. If you are using it as a take out, good luck. It's all uphill. 


The Rocky River is just that - quite rocky. As one would suspect, there are quite a few Rocky Rivers. North Carolina had several. This is not the one that flows from the Concord area into the Pee Dee River. 




No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...