Sunday, February 4, 2024

Feb 3 Flint Hill

 


That is a typical Uwharrie scene. A rhyolite outcrop atop a Uwharrie hill. Nothing unusual. It's Flint Hill off Flint Hill Rd near Ophir. The namesake mountain for the road has a smattering of Rhyolite outcrops on it but not anything more than would be expected of any Uwharrie mountain top. I began hiking at Tower Road on a forest road which goes through to Flint Hill Road. I went about half way and turned off on a side road which eventually made it to the south end of Flint Hill.  


Traveling along the ridgetop, I eventually made it to this deer stand very close to the highest point (909 ft). Here, I picked up a wood road leading north to Flint Hill Road. I followed it for a bit but turned off when there was a wood road or possible fire break between FS property and private land. I followed it for a while and it petered out, so I was on my own. Using Alltrails, I made it to the original Forest road I had started out on. Now, on my way back to Tower Road, I saw an ATV track leading east. I followed it to private property.



Here is the gate at private property but you can see they have their own private ATV track onto Forest Service land here. That ATV track led all the way back to the Forest Service road, so they can access all the roads back here. It has been recently used and looks well worn. 

ATV road across Forest service property

I made my way back to Tower Road and ended my exploration of the area. 






No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...