Monday, September 21, 2009

Biking the C&O Canal towpath day two






The sun had not risen by the time I was crossing the bridge to Sharpburg. I stopped for something to eat in what appeared to be the only restaurant in town. Then I rode through the battlefields and tried to understand how the battle took place. So much happened that day I couldn't follow all the movements and timelines. I do know after the battle, 23,000 casualties were counted, Lee crossed the Potomac and McClennan failed to pursue. Lincoln visited McClennan and encouraged him to pursue. Months passed and finally Lincoln relived him. The fields are littered with memorials. Each state represented in the battle has its own memorial.

On this section of the trail there is a 5 mile detour on lightly used rural roads. The towpath and canal are damaged in this area due to floods. The canal actually enters the river here and the towpath is cut into rock outcroppings. After the detour, there was a similar section.

I stopped in Williamsport to eat lunch. There is a small visitor center here and it looks like it is also a starting point for many school groups and day rides. A bit further along I rode the Western Maryland Rail Trail, a 24 mile paved route which follows the canal. At many spots you can see the canal and towpath below. This trail took me into the small town of Hancock where I spent the night.

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...