Monday, September 21, 2009

Biking on the "WOD"



"Wod" or W O&D or Washington and Old Dominion trail. It is an urban rail trail from Shirlington to Purcellville, 45 miles in length, all paved with a center line. My ride started at the home of a friend in Falls Church. After a 2 mile road ride on quiet neighborhood roads, I encountered the trail. On a sunny September Sunday afternoon there were hundreds of folks out enjoying this trail. Most were biking or walking. I saw all sorts of bicycles - tandems, recumbents, tandem recumbents and even a unicycle. How do you stop a unicycle?

I passed through one of the most developed areas on the east coast going from Fairfax to Loudoun county. There were many roads to cross and many limited access roads to cross via bridges. That meant a lot of inclines to pedal. As I reached near my destination, Leesburg, the trail became more rural and a bit more scenic.

Leesburg has a nice historic downtown. I stayed in a bed and breakfast that didn't provide breakfast. It was an old downtown hotel, probably 100 years old. I locked my bike in the adjacent restaurant's "wine cellar". In this case, "wine cellar" meant the glorified crawlspace that amid all the junk, had a few scattered boxes of cheap wine.

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...