Monday, September 20, 2010

Sept 12 Biking the Delaware River canals


I had a bit of rain today but still a wonderful ride. From New Hope I headed north on the PA side for only 3 miles and then crossed over the NJ and rode the rail trail north. There is no canal on the NJ side at this point. The town of Frenchtown is a neat spot, very touristy. I followed the rail trail north of here toward Milford. After a couple miles, the trail got very faint and rough. I continued following it but gave up when I had an opportunity to walk across a field toward the road. Here I met someone walking her dog and she told me I'd have to ride the road into Milford since the railtrail was blocked at the old paper mill.

Milford is a bit less touristy than New Hope, Lambertville and Frenchtown. However, it does have a brewpub which is where I ate lunch.



I crossed over to PA and rode south toward New Hope. There is about a 4 mile section along here where the trail surface is larger gravel. This slows you down. It seemed worse in the 1/2 mile just south of the Black Bass Inn.



Finally, the trail improved and I was able to ride along at a better clip. Three miles from New Hope, I crossed over to NJ and rode the rail trail into Lambertville. I learned later, I should have followed the canal towpath as it was in better shape.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...