Tuesday, March 13, 2012

SILVER COMET - 80 miles today


My plan is to make it to Dallas, Ga and stay at a B&B tonight. As the day progresses, I manage to make it all the way back to Atlanta area. Starting out in Piedmont, you quickly enter flat "piedmont" type land with mountains in the foreground. Eventually, you're in the mountains. The railroad followed the easiest route it could and it didn't seem steep ever. Above, I'm in a rock cut as the trail makes its way through the mountains. the long distance Pinoti Trail passes through here as well.

I manage to make good time on the trail, breezing through Cedartown late morning. I make it to Rockmart by noon and park right downtown to find some lunch. I am directed by a friendly hairdresser to go in the backdoor or a business and come out the other side, go two door to the right and into a quilt making shop which serves food. I sheepishly explain to the hairdressers in the storefront I walk through, someone gave me directions to go through here. I find the quilt place and have beef tips with cooked cabbage, crowder peas, cornbread and some kind of pie. Interesting meal but country cooking is not a favorite of mine. Lots of locals liked it though.

Heading on, I realize I may be able to make it all the way back to my car at the La Quinta. The miles roll by. I pass Dallas and never even look for where the B&B might be. I'm determined now to make it. After 60 miles it get tough. I struggle to find a cadence which works.




Lots of blooms along the trail. It is an early spring everywhere in the east this year.


The memorial below is for Jennifer Ewing, a 53 year old mother of three who was raped and murdered near that spot in 2006. Her attacker, Michael Ledford was convicted in 2009 of the crime. She died a slow and painful death lying in kudzu after a severe beating. For years, bicyclists would toss water bottles at the spot. that practice is now discouraged.


It was a long day and the final 3 miles of the connector trail were difficult. I rode 78.8 miles but have been officially rounding it up to 80 miles.

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...