Tuesday, March 13, 2012

SILVER COMET & CHIEF LADIGA - Cedartown to Piedmont


After a quick breakfast, I'm again on the trail by 7:20am. On the way out of town, I stop by this peaceful creek for a few minutes. Then it is a short 10 mile ride to the stateline. Crossing into Alabama is a big deal. One trail ends and another begins. There is an arch over the trail and welcome signs in marble on the trail. It does appear to be a high point, so once you pass through the arch, there is a slight downhill ride to catch your breath. Here we approach the arch.


Once in Alabama, the scenery is more rural and mountains appear. The trail crosses the same river a number of times. There are pastures with mountains as backdrops and rivers and swamps next to the trail. I pass one area that is being developed as a camp alongside the trail. Piedmont arrives 15 miles from the stateline. there is a visitor center. the two fellows manning it are friendly and offer coffee. It is hard to leave as one guy wants to relive Andy Griffith times. I'm from North Carolina so the Mayberry stuff rolls on and on. 

It is another 15 miles to the college town of Jacksonville where I find a calorie laden Reuben with fries. The corned beef was made on the premises and quite good. I push on to Weaver just outside Anniston and turn around for the ride back. I decide I need to make it back to Piedmont for a nice 62 mile day. I roll into town mid afternoon and find the new Key West Motel. At $52 a night, another bargain. There is a grocery store nearby and a Mexican restaurant. Neither was really worth the walk. Back at the motel, I see Chris, the double cross guy. We speak for a few minutes. Now we are headed in opposite directions and I wish him well on his 7 month tour.

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...