Thursday, May 29, 2014

May 19 New River Trail - Draper to Galax


It is a very chilly start at 37 degrees. I don't think I will see that temperature again until September. I begin pedaling and am so cold, I have to take a pair of extra socks and put them over my hands. I have a lightweight fleece but no leggings and no cap. It takes about 2 hours to begin to think about establishing a cadence. Even then it is hard to do.

The Hiwassee Bridge above was in the sun and I stopped to soak it in.


This tree was across the trail and later removed. I saw the crew heading in to take care of it.


I rode about 25 miles today before I saw anyone else on a bicycle. In the last few miles I might have seen a dozen riders.


Ivanhoe bridge is above. In the community of Ivanhoe is a new attraction along the trail. The site of an old blast furnace has been outfitted for parking and has a nice interpretive sign describing what a blast furnace is. I also learned what pig iron is. One of the processes to make iron has the metal being fed through a device that looks like a mother pig with piglets attached.

I rolled into Galax at about 2:30, fairly tired. Downtown Galax is not a big place but it does boast a few restaurants and a dollar store. Not much else.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...