Thursday, May 29, 2014

May 20 New River Trail - Return to Draper

Back in the saddle

All I have to do, is roll the bike out of the motel room and start riding. The trail is about 2 minutes away. It was a bit warmer today and I didn't have to stop to warm up. I got into a comfortable cadence early and maintained it

Fire Pink

So many different wildflowers were blooming but I think the Fire pink was my favorite. Much of the trail is cliff side. Many flowers bloom from the crevices in the rock. It was most enjoyable seeing these mini rock gardens all day.

I always wanted to be tall.

I rode over 35 miles today before seeing another bicycle rider. The miles rolled by quickly as I kept the cadence up.

There was lots of activity at the two dams. Some dredging was going on at one and it looks like some equipment was being installed at the other.

More Fire pink

It is a good thing I don't get Poison ivy. This looks really potent.

Do you think they built far enough from the railroad?

Sedimentary layers warped here.

Around mile 42, I stopped for a breather. I had averaged over 10mph to this point. However, starting up again, I had lost the ability to keep a steady cadence going. I really lagged the final two miles. Snickers, walnuts, water and a short rest, didn't help much, I was beat. My car was a welcome sight. I think I could have rejuvenated had I needed to but I was finished and it was only noon. 

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...