Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Jan 25 Lower Mt Cammerer


It is my first day at Wilderness Wildlife Week and I have chosen to hike by myself on a trail I've not been on before, Lower Mt Cammerer. The trail is about 7.5 miles long but doesn't start right at the Cosby parking area. You begin hiking on Low Gap Trail. I have already decided before hiking that I will not do the whole distance as it will require double the miles. My plan is to stop at a landmark so I'll be able to easily find that landmark while hiking from the other direction, thus hiking the entire trail over the course of two trips. 


Just outside of Cosby trailhead, is this spring by the side of the trail. It is obvious this area was lived in and farmed at some point in the past. For a few miles I'm hiking on an old roadbed. The first place of note, is Sutton Ridge overlook. The overlook is located up a short spur trail and has nice views toward Gabes Mountain. I can also see what appears to the Mt Cammerer firetower.


Continuing, the trail weaves in and out of coves, never deviating much in elevation. Certainly there are no landmarks here. It all seems to repeat itself. There is one set of footprints in the snow. When I arrive at campsite 35, there is a couple just leaving. They have been out for two nights in some rainy and snowy weather. Today is a fine day though. They tell me, they hiked up to the tower yesterday.


After leaving the campsite, I begin to look for a landmark to turn around at. Again, the trail seems to repeat itself with nothing standing out as something I'd recognize again. Finally, I come to the manway up Groundhog Ridge. It appears that the backpacking couple took this way up to the tower as there are two sets of prints going up and down. This is my turn around spot. I end up walking about 12 miles today.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...