Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Jan 28 Mt Cammerer in Snow


Our group of 9 is led by Tennessee State Park Ranger Marty Silver from Warrior's Path State Park. Marty has led many of my most memorable WWW hikes. Today is no exception. His first choice, Road Prong/Sugarland Mountain was inaccessible due to closed roads. That route would have involved a short scramble between Sugarland Mountain and Chimney Tops Trails which I was looking forward to but who can argue with closed roads and a hike up Mt Cammerer?


Low Gap Trail seems never ending today. The snow slows our progress some. Again, despite the frozen temperatures I am sweating and can't see through my foggy glasses for most of the climb. 


We are treated to spectacular rime ice on the trees. When the sun rises and pokes through the gap, the trees glisten in the sunlight. Everyone comments constantly about the scene. Marty stops at regular intervals to allow everyone to catch up. He points out various tracks in the snow. He spots, red squirrel, fox and mouse tracks. We see a few chickadees and juncos as well. 


Finally, we make it to the gap and the AT. I am looking forward to hiking on what I think will be easier terrain but the trail continues up for most of the 2 miles to the spur trail leading to the tower.


The 8-10 inch snow makes hiking difficult. I try to step in footprints to make it easier. We are treated to very nice westward views along the ridge. I am glad to see the spur trail. There is a bit of rock scrambling to do just before reaching the tower.


Inside the structure it feels as if it is heated. We are out of the wind and the sun has warmed it but there is still snow on the floor. Everyone huddles inside to eat lunch. We calculate our return hike and make the call for the pick up bus, only to find it is already en route. 


Views are tremendous in all directions. Sterling tower is clearly visible. I-40 disappears on its way toward Newport. Sunglasses would have been helpful as the snow reflected the brilliant sunlight today.


The hike back was about an hour quicker than going up. I stayed warm the entire way. However, there were a couple others suffering on the return.


I am so glad I was able to experience this mountain in these conditions. It was my last WWW hike this year. The event is moving to May in 2016, so we may not have these opportunities as often in the future.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...