Saturday, December 19, 2015

Dec 18 Hike up Pilot Mountain


My goal is to hike the new Mountain Trail which combined with the Grindstone Trail, encircles the base of the mountain for about 5.5 miles. The new trail starts out in beautiful mature hardwood forest. Some signs of disturbance are seen in the first mile. The land is relatively level and probably good crop or pasture land. After passing the junction with the Corridor Trail, I began thinking about all those stone steps on the Ledge Spring Trail. I wasn't sure how to get to the Ledge Spring Trail from the new Mountain. Suddenly, a large boulder caught me eye. I had to go investigate. It was the size of a small house. Pilot Knob loomed above. Not too far, I thought. So up I went.


It was steep but open forest. The only obstacles were downed trees. As I neared the base of the knob, it got steeper and strewn with fallen trees and rocks. The last 100 feet were slow. I slipped back a couple time during this Sysphean  scramble. 

Looks like Oyster Mushrooms

It is just a short distance to the Jomeokee Trail


After lunch, I headed down Grindstone. Realizing that there was no official trail connection here to the new Mountain  Trail, I headed down through the woods on an old road. When the road leveled out, I found a spot between laurel thickets and continued down until I popped out on the Mountain Trail.


Here is how the new trail looks. In this vicinity, the trail is also a fire break. In less than a mile, I was back on the Grindstone Trail and then in the campground. 

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...