Monday, August 8, 2016

August 5 Chicken (of the woods) Sandwich


In the east, I have seen just 2 species of Chicken. Laetiporus Sulphureus has a yellowish underside and usually appears above ground on a tree. L Cincinnatus has a white underside and appears near the base of a tree or on logs. This guy I found behind the house is L Cincinnatus. Both are edible except when on pine or conifers. I got to this one at just the right time. The margins are still tender and cut very easily with a pocket knife.


It'll last fresh in the fridge for at least a week. When cooked it darkens a bit. There is less moisture in this fungus than chanterelles which I normally find and cook. So I cooked it in some white wine until it was gone. The texture is like very tender chicken and the taste has a definite lemon flavor to it.



I tried it with hummus and pickles in a sandwich. With some hot sauce, it was delicious. 

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...