Monday, August 8, 2016

August 7 Virginia Creeper in Humidity


The itinerary for today is a 23 mile ride, Straight Branch to Green Cove and back. It is threatening rain, so I want to make the ride short enough to not get into too much of the expected rain. I got drenched anyway but not from rain. It was very humid. Of course the ride up requires some energy and I was dripping after the first 6 miles. 

It was surprising that the condition of the trail was not as good as previous rides. I thought there were many more loose gravels in the trail. So many in fact, I stopped to let some air out of my tires. Normally, 55-60 psi for my 35s is ideal for riding on crushed gravel trails but this was too much for this trail. Having bicycled on the New River Trail and Greenbrier River Trail recently, I can say, they are in better shape. 


On the ride up to Green Cove, I saw a few AT hikers and one bicyclist coming down. At Green Cove, just one fellow rode through while I was taking a break. On the return, I met about 12 coming up. This was all early the morning. I started at 7:30 and finished by 10:45 so the bicycle vans had yet to disgorge their hordes of downhill riders.


No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...