Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Dec 11 My Forest Disappears


Between early October and mid December, we had about 40 acres clearcut and 60 acres selectively cut. It was an emotional experience to see your forest drive past you every day. For the first month, the cutting was occurring about a half mile from the house. So, it was far enough away to not be heard too loudly. However, that last month, it was up close and personal. I saw the huge cedars get knocked down when the road was pushed. A maple fell on my blueberry bushes. The only stand of mountain laurel on the property took a hit. And one of the Pinxter Azalea communities was eliminated. My hiking trails could no longer be followed. I didn't recognize where I was on the property anymore. All that being said, wood is a renewal resource and will return. I don't expect to see the forest again in my lifetime, but someone will. It seemed to me, we are going about the forest management in a poor direction. In order to get an 80% reduction on my taxes, I have to have a forest management plan - a plan to timber my land. By doing this, we are destroying the habitat for wildlife, severing the mycorrlizal relationship with plants and cutting the largest, strongest and most prolific trees. It seems to me, the tax break should apply to those who do not cut timber and allow the forest to fully mature. That is something we are missing. Virgin tree communities in the eastern US are confines to very small areas now. That is my take on it.


Grab and go, much like fast food. 


The tree cutter can slice through a tree with its inch thick chain saw, hold the tree upright and move to a spot where the tree can be dropped with the least amount of damage. In theory!


Here goes a load of firewood. The crew found time to cut and split some prime oak for firewood.


Dragging a load of pine is a breeze for this piece of equipment. It takes some talent to do this. Francisco asked me several times to operate this thing on the weekends so he would not have to. I always said I would but, ultimately, left all the work for him.
\

You think he is stuck. Think again. Nothing stops this. Nice piece of cedar getting hauled here.


Need firewood - call me.


An attempt was made to split this piece of red oak. Do you care to take a swing at it?

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...