Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Jan 16 Walker Creek Ramble

Raccoon?

Beginning at the end of Eagles Field Road, I head into the woods along an old road. Eventually, this road peters out in a stand of pine. Following the edge of the pine stand, I spot a 5 trunked tree which I recognize. Here I turn right and follow another old road looking left for a giant Poplar tree. Yeah, I navigate by sight a lot. After spotting the Poplar, I head toward the mature oak forest, noting its chanterelle potential. Then it is onto a familiar wood road which fords Walker Creek. It is near here, a massive chimney with many large cedars beckons a closer look. 

Cool spot with little riffles on Walker Creek

After a short investigation of the area around the chimney, I head back on the old road through beautiful open oak forest. More mushroom potential here. In about a half mile, the road continues to Lassiter Mill Road with a Forest Service gate across it. It is hard to tell if the final part of the road is Forest Service or private property. In the latter case, the Forest Service would have an easement on the road. I note that there is parking here but only along the side of the road. 

Big cedars in this old homesite

Heading back on the old road, I head off on a road which was used for a timber cut within the past few years. It is not long before this road gets mired in timber debris and an exit out of the area is necessary. After some bobbing and weaving, I manage to make it to open forest on the edge of Walker Creek. The creek is never visible as the mountain laurel cloaks it from view.

Massive chimney

Eventually, I manage to get to the creek in a very scenic spot. However, crossing it looks ominous. The opposite side is much steeper and more gnarly than I care to deal with. So I walk along the laurel accompanying the creek until I end up back the chimney.

My big Poplar Tree

Retracing along the old road, I look for someplace new to explore. I end up at the inholding property at the end of Eagles Field Road and decide to make my way around it and call it day. 


Sliding rock on a side creek to Walker Creek

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...