Monday, April 23, 2018

Apr 22 Walker Creek Hike


Just out checking the flagging on this route. In 2 months we'll be building real trail here and we need to have the route well marked. It was 2014 when I first walked through this area and saw the creek and dam. The next year I walked a maze of routes through here looking for a suitable route. Then the archaeological relocation changed the route significantly. Numerous others have contributed time and effort. Now we are weeks away from this becoming trail. 


I found my way down to the detention dam and decided to revisit some places I had not been to in a few years. 



I found the old road with this long wall of quartz. It led to several other old roads. One included this partial chimney, below. From here I made my way to the huge oak next to the bench cut homesite. It appears the oak fell a couple years ago. Even on the ground, it is impressive. Then I remembered why I was here. I found my way back to the trail and continued to the spot now called "biscuit rocks". 



Never a fan of biscuits, I don't care for this name. I prefer the Walker Creek "erratics". 




Back at the trailhead looking north west. This is going to be a great spot on the Uwharrie National Recreation Trail.


No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...