Sunday, February 3, 2019

Feb 1 Silver Run - Prettiest Creek in the Uwharries


You can't get lost now. The Birkheads are getting new trail signs. 


My outing is along Silver Run. To get to it, I walk the Robins Branch Trail. The carnage from the twin hurricanes is quite evident on this trail. Although, mostly clear, as I approach the junction with Thornburg Trail, some massive oaks have come across the trail. Its puzzling that the trees high on the ridge are intact but lower one succumbed to the winds. After hanging a left on Thornburg Trail I see more tree carnage but the trail is left unscathed. All day, I see downed trees. The biggest trees in the forest are the ones that came down. 


Silver Run is a small creek as it crosses the trail. This area is filled with pines and fairly flat, indicating it was in agriculture at one time. After walking on a carpet of pine needles for about 10 minutes, the forest abruptly changes and I'm in mature hardwoods again. 


Silver Run snakes along. At times it cuts through ridges of ryolite, bouncing down smooth rocks. 



At one point, Silver Run enters private property for about 100 yards. It is clearly marked. I see many property boundary signage and red paint. Some of this had to be from previous land parcels now owned by the Forest Service. 



If there is a contest for prettiest creek in the Uwharries, Silver Run is an excellent candidate. 


I had planned to follow the creek until it exited the FS property but had to cut my hike short since I needed to be back in town by mid afternoon. So, I took the most direct route back to the trailhead. In doing so, I found an old road and followed it to a homesite I had not seen before. There were a few daffodils budding here. Heirloom Daffodils are a common sight at these reclaimed homesites. 



Further along I encountered two climber deer stands locked to trees. These appeared to be a great distance from any trail. They looked like they were brand new this past season. 

They'll be blooming this week

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...