Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Oct 26 Walker Creek Loop (offtrail)

 

Check out this burl

I walked a 6.4 mile loop beginning at Luther Place, wishing to visit some places I haven't seen since my days of roaming around searching for a trail rote through here. I tried to follow the original route we laid out. It is barely visible in spots. A large number of mature oaks have uprooted on the hillside headed down to the waterwall. 

Chimney off Walker Creek

Following the drainage that passes near the evaporator (or sorghum cooker), I crossed the Forest Service Road and headed up Black Mountain. Once I encountered the fence and private property, I roughly followed the National Forest boundary until close to the top of Black Mountain. The 3 story observation deck built by a previous owner, has fallen over. You can see it in the photo of the large burl.

Guess what kind of tree this is

Elevated outhouse

My next goal was to pass by the old chimney near the creek. The old Road leading to it has become quite overgrown. It appears someone has been walking it recently. After fording the creek, my route skirts the National Forest boundary again. After getting turned around, I saw a vehicle parked in the forest. I could not imagine how one would drive out here. Then realized I was looking at a junk vehicle on the Eagle Field inholding. I had seen the vehicle there on gis dating back years.

Waterwall

Once I got my bearings, it was a straight shot back to Luther Place.

A Mystery to me

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...