Thursday, May 14, 2009

Biking on the North Bend Trail - Day 1





The North Bend Trail is a West Virginia State Park. It follows the rail bed of an abandoned B&O line from Parkersburg to Clarksburg. My WV buddy agreed to shuttle me to Parkersburg so I could ride back to my vehicle in Clarksburg. I spent Sunday night in a tiny Econo Lodge room near downtown Parkersburg. Monday morning I was met by raindrops as soon as I stepped out of the room. My Parkersburg gourmet breakfast buffet consisted of coffee and a muffin. The juice machine was empty and it looked like the bagals were about to mold. I was soon away and walking toward the trailhead. I was able to ride a little on the roads but lack of shoulder and heavy commuter traffic forced me to walk in the wet sand along Rt 47. Finally, I was at the trailhead. A sign with mileages was all that indicated it was a trail. The first 10 miles followed the swollen Little Kanawha River and a procession of river shacks and permanently anchored RV's, many sporting the colors and flag of WVU.

Then the trail headed into more rural area and the scenery improved. Trestles and tunnels make this rail trail unique. I passed one abandoned tunnel and could not decide why it was ever built in the first place. I was able to ride through the first trail tunnel but the next one was loaded with big gravel and my flashlight didn't provide enough light to see but just a few feet ahead. I passed through many small towns, some consisting of just a handful of homes and maybe a church. The first real town I encountered was Cairo. It was adjacent to the main body of North Bend State Park which provides lodging, camping, hiking etc. I walked through town and spoke briefly with a couple about to do the same thing I was but a day later. We exchanged trail information and parted. Throughout the day I put on and took off my rain jacket. It never rained hard but enough to get your attention. Later in the afternoon I passed through Ellenboro and Pennboro. I heard there was a nice B&B there but I wanted to get further along the trail. As I approached Greenwood, I heard thunder. In Greenwood I checked into the tiny Greenwood Motel. As I was filling out the 3x5 index card that served as my registration, the downpour came. That night, since there was no other business, restaurant or convenience store nearby, I called CJ's Pizza in West Union and ordered a take out meal.

More pictures of this ride are at: More Photos

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...