Thursday, May 14, 2009

Uwharrie Fish Weir Re-visited





Since last November when I floated through a fish weir on the Uwharrie River, I've wanted to go back and look at it closer. I finally got the opportunity to do so. River level was down, so the weir would be visible. I tossed the kayak in the river at Ophir Low Water Bridge and paddled upriver. It was slow moving against the current. Several times I was forced to get out and drag my boat through shallow spots. After about 30 minutes, I had arrived. I took some photos and GPS coordinates before floating back to the bridge. The weir looks as if it formed a V shape with the river right being in the main current and probably broken apart by trees swept downriver. The river left side and the bottom of the V appear intact.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...