Thursday, May 14, 2009

Biking on the North Bend Trail - Day 2





Another quick breakfast this morning. I'm riding on the trail about 7am. The trail today is much different. There is tall and wet grass and lots of water on the trail. There are hardly any packed down hard tracks to follow. I have to deal with these new conditions from here until the end of the trail. Not long after starting out, I meet a fellow who warns me about a flooded tunnel ahead, "They have been dealing with that water a long time". He says the tunnel is flooded, about 8 inches of water at either end of the tunnel, extending a quarter of the way into the tunnel. He suggesta a route around the flood which involves getting out on Rt 50 for about 4 miles. I take him up on the route and pedal along in the slow lane for about a half hour. Once back on the trail, I ride through the town of West Union. It is a big town for this area and has a paved route through town. Then it is back to muddy single and two track. From here on the trail is impassable in places. I rode on side roads a coupe of times. Finally, I'm back on the trail and riding intro Salem, the last town on the trail. It has a depot and a couple places to eat and a few more services than most places I have seem. From here it is a short 7 miles to Wolf's Summit and the end of the trail. When I complete the trail I still have 6 miles of road ride to do to get to my vehicle. I'm done by 1:15 and ready for some lunch.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...