Thursday, August 25, 2011

Aug 25 Embarrassment Rock


Back in December, I wandered upon this odd rock. It is not a cliff, but merely a rock sitting by itself out in the woods. Since that time, I have related my experience to others and this place has achieved something approaching urban legend status. As you can see, it appears someone may have spend a bit of time here with the carpet bed in the shelter of the rock overhang. When I first saw this, there were some dried mushrooms stacked up here as well.


To get to this spot, I led my my gullible buddies, Jay and Ron, through one and one half hours of mountain laurel and rhododendron. In 90 degree heat and even higher humidity, it was an exhausting adventure. When we finally arrived, I was too exhausted to take adequate photos. One of the intriguing aspects is the trees surrounding this rock. They all appear to be holding up this cantilevered rock. In those places, they have grown into the rock as the photos indicate.


Upon leaving here, we decided to follow Ron on a downhill course. Within 9 minutes we were on the the Indian Creek / MST Trail. I was relieved and embarrassed and grateful to to have friends who didn't berate me for the hour and twenty minutes of misery. 


This is one of a many unique spots in Hanging Rock State Park. If you'd like to learn more of the secrets here or just support this wonderful gem of a place, please visit and join Friends of Sauratown Mountains. We love this park and intend to keep it a special place for us all to enjoy.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...