Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Aug 28 Little Miami Trail


Ohio's Little Miami Trail and the surrounding trails have become a bicycling Mecca. Xenia is at the hub with 5 trails emanating from it. The entire system is 238 miles and growing, of paved trails, suitable for road bicycles, inline skates, recumbents, tricycles - you name it. I didn't see any unicycles but they are probably out there too. The main trail in the system is the 78 mile Little Miami Trail. Since the trail is growing in length, mileage is measured in both directions from Xenia. You have to get accustomed to this as it is confusing. So confusing that I rode to Urbana today, thinking it was 24 miles when it was actually 34 miles. That is not a big deal, except I needed to ride back, making it a 70 mile day.


The ride to Yellow Springs is nice but with a healthy dose of suburbia as scenery. Yellow Springs is a nice nice destination for bikes - motorcycles. They overpopulated the parking area of Peaches Bar & Grill next to the trail.

A bit further along is Springfield. A bridge under construction required I ride an alternate route through town. The middle of downtown is nice with some upscale buildings and a nice hotel, but shortly thereafter I rode through the underbelly of town. Cornfields dominated the landscape into Urbana.


I found a nice Italian deli with fresh cold cut grinders and treated myself to a capicola grinder and a hot & spicy pickle. The ride back seemed to go on forever. It wasn't until later in the evening, having obtained a map, did I realize I was riding 10 miles further than I thought. I look beat below.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...