Monday, February 3, 2014

Jan 29 Cove Mountain


All park roads are closed due to ice and snow. The only place I can get to is Sugarlands Visitors Center. The ranger behind the information desk suggests I can hike up Cove Mountain, down to Laurel Falls and walk back along the closed road to make a nice loop hike. That sounds interesting until I take my map out at Cataract Falls. It is 10:30 and the mileage he suggested is 17 miles. Plan B develops, walk up Cove Mountain until I turn around. 


What great views and sights I had today. Brilliant clear blue sky, blinding white snow and beauty at every turn. I walked up past several homes built along the park boundary. Some folks had accessed the trail in this area with dogs but had not gone far. I was breaking trail once again. 


I walked until I turned around, had lunch and retraced my way back. While gone, Cataract Falls had gone from totally frozen to partially frozen. Great scenery today. 

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...