Monday, February 3, 2014

Jan 30 Old Settlers Trail


It is cold this morning. There is a 3 mile section of Old Settlers Trail between, Maddron Bald Trail and Webb Creek I have not hiked. So that is the outing today. There is fresh snow on the ground as I start up Maddron Bald Trail. Within a half mile I overtake a fellow whose prints I have been following. He is a local guy, having been "born in the field across from the trail head". He is headed up to the old Marshall Place. He tells me that is where the turn around used to be. I think I know the spot he is referring to. Maddron Bald Trail becomes much rougher at that spot.

Not long after leaving my friend, I turn right on Old Settlers Trail and once again see no tracks except this coyote's prints below. Marty Silver had just pointed out a couple days ago, how coyotes walk efficiently in the snow, placing the rear feet in the footprints of the front feet. This coyote demonstrated that very well.


Old Settlers trail has many signs of former homes and human activity. there are stone walls, stone piles, occasionally a dam and cemeteries like the one below.


At some point along the trail, a set of footprints appears, having come off trail onto the trail. I follow them for several miles until I reach the McCarter barn. This was to be my stopping point, at Webb Creek. I know the trail continues into Greenbrier by the confluence of Ramseys and Porters Creeks. My plan was to backtrack here but I see the footprints continuing and I know this fellow must know his way around, so I follow them. In less than a mile I'm back on Rt 321 where I see where a car has left tire tracks in the snow. My unseen hiking buddy must have walked in somewhere nearby. It is just over 2 miles along Rt 321 back to my car at the Maddron Bald trail head. Rt 321 is not a recommended hike. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting - I've seen that footprint pattern before but didn't know what animal made them.

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...