Sunday, March 23, 2014

Mar 18 Cataloochie Divide Loop Hike


These are not trails I would normally hike but if your quest is to hike them all, that is what you should do. My hike began on the Cataloochie Divide trail where it begins at the entrance road to Cataloochie Valley. I proceeded to McKee Branch Trail to Caldwell Fork Trail, up Hemphill Bald Trail to the intersection with Cataloochie Divide Trail and back to start. 17.8 miles and all of it new miles.

Caeleum Sereum? There is a ridge there by that name but otherwise I drew a blank on this one. It has no meaning in Latin.

These trails are heavily used by horseback riders and thus it was a rutted, muddy mess in many spots. The trail which ran right along the divide was also right next to the park boundary, seen above. I did pass several homes, structures and The Swag bed and breakfast. They have beautiful grounds, below.




On my return, I followed a trail which led to Purchase Gap Science Learning Center. It looked like a regular residence except no gas grill and pickup on blocks in the yard. Otherwise, it was just a nice day to be outside but nothing to get really excited about.

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...